
Near the end of May 1894 John Peters’ store, in what was becoming the town of Council, burned down. It sat about where the M&W Market parking lot is today. It’s not clear exactly when he moved his store here from its previous location north of “town” on Galena Street. Peters began building a new store almost immediately, on the west side of what is now Michigan Street, about a block south of present-day M&W. Before the summer was over, Isaac McMahan joined him in that store.
Although more information was forthcoming, the Salubria newspaper said the Peters fire was one of two that had occurred that same week. Having no alternative to lighting with an open flame, it was almost always responsible for such fires.
Idaho Citizen, June 15, 1894 – “George Robinson Robertson has been making a ditch on his ranch, when completed he will have a fine farm.” This would be the Robertson – Seavey Ditch, originating from the Weiser River north of Fruitvale.
Baseball games between various communities and towns was becoming very popular, and the Council Valley team played a game every Sunday. In those early days, umpires and catchers wore no protective equipment. That summer Bill Winkler was the catcher for the Council team and a hard pitch sent the ball hurtling into Bill’s nose, breaking it.
Emmett Index June 30, 1894: “Jim Perkins arrived from Indian Valley Saturday. He spent the winter and spring on Salmon River and says the contractors on the state Wagon Road down Little Salmon River completed a considerable portion of the road before high water and it was almost entirely destroyed by the spring raise. Salmon River was 16 ft above high-water mark – higher than it was ever known to be before. Nearly all of the state Wagon Road that was constructed before high water will have to be rebuilt.”
Even building a pack trail down the Little Salmon was a very difficult endeavor. Before this, pack trails followed ridges high above and west of the river, as mentioned in this August 16 item in the Weiser Signal:
“The first of August finds Meadows rejoicing over the double event of the completion of a new trail down the Little Salmon and the opening of a new mail route to Grangeville. The trail, which has been built at the expense of private parties, also makes a fair beginning on the state wagon road, as it follows the grade of the latter. Heretofore the trail has wound around for eight or ten miles over Little Salmon mountain, travel being difficult. Now it follows a water grade through the canyon, part of it being blasted out through solid rock.
“The opening of the mail route to Grangeville also marks an epoch in this line. It is the forerunner of direct communication between north and south Idaho. Heretofore the mail from Grangeville, Lewiston and northern Idaho has made a circuit of several hundred miles around through Washington and Oregon to reach the capitol. This new route was established through the efforts of Postmaster Cal White of Meadows, on the strength of the building of the state wagon road.” “It is to be regretted that no money was set aside from the state wagon road fund for the building of the Little Salmon division of about twenty miles. The road up the main Salmon will be finished this fall.” “There is now a good road down through the Meadows for fifteen miles to Round Valley. The people of Washington county will extend this to connect with the state road, a distance of about five miles. When this is done there will be direct communication between north and south Idaho via Grangeville and Lewiston.”
What would become the town of Council was growing rapidly at this time. An attorney moved in, as well as what would seem to be Council Valley’s first resident doctor – his ad in the Idaho Citizen said: “S.C. Craft, M.D., physician and surgeon, Council Valley, Idaho - office on Main street.”
Also that summer the firm of Cohen & Criss started visiting Council Valley as traveling merchants to sell clothes and dry goods. I believe their headquarters were in Weiser. Sam and Harry Criss were brothers, and Abraham Criss (1852 - 1901) may have been their father, although evidence is lacking. They were all involved in the business, which continued in Council for many years. They were devout Jews and did not do business on the Sabbath – sundown on Friday through nightfall on Saturday. They became known as the “Jew peddlers,” and would later establish a major store in Council.
The community of Bear was prospering around this time, probably due, in part, to being on the road to the nearby mining district. (Even though the mines were not very active in 1894 due to the economic depression.) The Bear school had 17 students, including Byron Davis, Jesse Smith and a number of Warners: Janie, Levern, Mary, Charles and Sam.
100 years ago
March 18, 1926
Ben Davis has opened a Vulcanizing Shop.
Ranchers in the Advent gulch area have been doing road work. Most people “along Pine Creek between the Howland ranch and beyond agree that some graveling should be done.” Money is being raised “by popular subscription to meet half the cost. The county commissioners have already agreed to stand half the expense of graveling the road up to the Unger place, and it is felt that they will be willing to go on to the forks in the road, just across the Pine Creek bridge, on the same basis. This road will benefit many. And is always one of the meanest pieces on the entire road.”
Died from the flu: Mary, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. Pickett, who was not quite nine months old. Burial in the Midvale cemetery east of town.
A number of people in the area have been stricken with flu.
Died from whooping cough: the two year old baby of Fred Potter. Burial will be “in the Weiser cemetery, near the mother who passed away but a few weeks ago.”
South Crane – “The reservoir has filled to such an extent that the water now covers the Mill Creek bridge. The mail carrier has been unable to cross lately.”
Crane Creek – “Joe Stippich had a six-horse team hitched to a gang plow run away the other day, crippling him up for a little while. A team ran away with James Stippich while he was harrowing, also.”
75 years ago
March 15, 1951
Married: Wanda Lee Morris, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Buell Morris of Mesa two Antone A. Morgansen.
Died at a Caldwell nursing home: Anna Rebecca Caldwell, 85, a pioneer Idahoan. Born in 1865 in Missouri, she came to Idaho in 1887 and arrived at Midvale two years later. She lived here until 1916, then moved to Nampa but returned to Midvale until a few years ago.
“The Lawrence Davidson 160-acre farm, known as the Hot Springs place northeast of Cambridge, has been sold to Clay T. Sample, of Kelso, Washington.”
A son named Dusty Ray was born to Mr. and Mrs. Bud Womack on March 9.
A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Connie Frances of Stibnite on March 3.
49 years ago
March 17, 1977
March 1 snow accumulations throughout the state range from 9% of normal to 45%. The water supply forecasts adopted by the Data Task Force show a somewhat bleak picture. The degree of this year’s drought in Idaho is similar to that which occurred in the dry years of the 1930s.
A daughter named Rhonda was born to Mr. and Mrs. Randy Landreth on February 25.
A girl named Rebecca Lynn was born to Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Davison at Weiser.
A son named Darren Lee was born to Mr. and Mrs. Ellis Pearson at the Council hospital.
Dick and Elaine Williams have bought the Alpine Service and Grocery, have renamed it “Dick’s Alpine Store,” and are remodeling the building.
Died: Clarence Hutchison, 86, Emmett. Born in 1890, he moved with his family to Indian Valley in 1897. He married Zoa Wilkerson in 1922 at Cambridge and they farmed in Indian Valley until 1939. They moved to Emmett in 1950.
Obituary: Anna Williamson died at Denver. She was born in 1890 at Midvale, the daughter of Joseph and Florence Hague. Her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. John Michael, and their children arrived at Midvale in 1881.
Died at Emmett: Elizabeth Stephens, 93. She was born in 1883 at Indian Valley and married George Stephens in 1902. They farmed at North Crane Creek east of Midvale for many years. He died in 1944.
25 years ago
March 8, 2001
Died: Donald Tischer, 78. He was born in Midvale and served in the Navy during World War II.


